Walking into the garden . . .

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Space and Creative Financial Independence

Hello.
So, I have been going a little crazy lately, and also entering into a beautiful stage of my life. I suppose that transition always must be a little bit crazy...or downright maddening.
Anyways. I have been trying to integrate a schedule into the life of myself and my two year old these last few days. It has been tricky, and I want to get it right away. I realized the beauty, however, of creating a schedule and adjusting it as you use it and discover what works and what doesn't. Also, there are some days where you need to ignore any schedule at all. I suppose what I made was more of sets of routines designed to make our lives more smooth, efficient, and predictable.
A big reason for the desire to have set routines and a sort of schedule is that I am ready to have time to myself and feel the push to become financially independent. I am a single Mama and have been on financial assistance since month 5 of my pregnancy. I am not only ready to be financially independent, but also must be prepared as when T turns three years old (which is in February) they will cut me off.
And so, with optimism, I am excited for this much needed shift in my reality. I am in the process of finding a friend to hang out with T while I have time to focus of self and creating wondrous magical things to sell to support us.
My wonderful, amazing and exciting plan is to sew(weeeeee, my beautiful old Elna Machine is in the shop right now!) wonderful creations to sell. I would also like to embroider embellishments, do some felting/felt appliqués, crochet, make activities for children(Montessori inspired, no doubt), and do all of this in a way that is sustainable. I will use salvaged goods, such as linens and such from thrift shops, local wool/salvaged wool and other such materials. I am very excited about all of this(as must be incredibly apparent).
So, here I go. I am going to talk to my friend today to see if watching T for me will work for him.
Here I go!
I will update when this evolves further. Another exciting tidbit: I will soon have a camera again and so will be able to show off in posts with lovely photographs!
<3
-Radical Mama Me

2 comments:

  1. I love the sound of your plan Sarah. I have an Elna also, with burnished sage green finish. It is beautiful but unfortunately the tension is shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Elna is that color too!!! Maybe if you took it to a shop they could repair it?? Mine is in the shop right now! I can't wait to pick it up!!! I just bought sandpaper and (eco)paint(light lavender!) today for my less than pretty, but awesome, desk which will be my sewing desk at the end of the hall, which I would call a studio, but seeing as how it's a hall end, we'll call it a sewing nook. ^.^ I actually bought it at the rad Pender thrift for about $3.00! ^^
    Can't wait to getting going!! I will post with pictures, I hope, soon! ^<>^

    ReplyDelete