Walking into the garden . . .

Friday, June 4, 2010

Rhythm Equals Sanity! Thanks Given!!!

Before I blog today, I just want to mention something that relates to a previous blog post. I mentioned that I was giving T Bach's Rescue Remedy flower infusion when she took her bedtime bath. Those two days I did so were perfectly fitting, as they were stressful days. However, now that stress is not the norm, I realize that it is a medicine to use only on days where stress is occurring. So if it's been a rough day, the Rescue Remedy is safe and gentle. I think it's a wonder aid!

And now, on to the rest of today's blog post:



Our lives have established the rhythm and flow that I have been in great need of!!! Hooray!!!

The constants(with obvious variations, depending upon circumstance) have comfortably settled into something like this:

Wake up, Nurse
Make Mom's bed/roll up T's bedroll
Breakfast
Go on an Outing
Mid-morning snack(seems small, but is a vital key to maintaining the flow!! If it is missed, everything may collapse from that point of the day on!)
Home for Lunch
Quiet Time(we've worked up to an hour. Also, a note about quiet time, I feel that it is important to time this wisely, and to aim for the same time each day. The little ones need down time, and if pushed too far it can get stressful for Mama and child. Also, if you are trying to smoothly transition from nap to no nap like us, it is important to facilitate quite time before their bodies and minds become exhausted and need to sleep! It works beautifully and I highly recommend it!!!)
Go on an Outing/Play in the yard depending
Home for dinner prep and eating
Tea(we've just added this evening ritual in today. I am very excited about it!!)
Read books(I've also just begun this tonight because it worked well. I have felt for a while that reading books before bath time made more sense for T as once she's had her bath, all she wants is to nurse and sleep!)
Bath Time
Sleep(and this has grown a nightly ritual all it's own. It goes something like this: get diaper and jammies on, unroll & prepare bedroll[which is used folded up as a sitting area for T during the day--it is part of the intentional calm space in the room, and SO amazing! She literally screeched with jubilation while hitting it in excitement the first time I set it up for her!!!], put blanket up in window[still gotta get curtains up there], then lay down to nurse and sleep. It is so established, and I realized this because tonight I put the blanket in the window before unrolling the bed, and while I was doing this T was busy getting her teddy bear and pillows[used as cushions in the day] and blanket[laid out on the seat during the day] off of her bedroll. She then asked for assistance as she could not get it unrolled on her own[it is heavy, lots of wool blankets and a heavy woven cotton blanket are what makes up her bedroll]. That's when I clued into what she was up to. And out like a light was she once we lay down together! ^.^ And that's when I realized the amazing accomplishment that has at last naturally woven itself into our lives!)

Also, in the afternoon she sometimes requests a nurse, so that happens as well. I am really quite surprised how in these last few days, even her requests for milk have gone down, and not because of discouragement. I feel it's more of understanding/moving past it. For instance, she asks for me instead of milk, but in the same way she used to ask for milk, showing that she can satisfy her need to be close with me/have my attention without necessarily nursing.

So thrilled am I about this wonderful sense of routine, and the way it had to be, one that naturally worked itself into our lives, taking the lead for us to follow. It feels amazing! And I can definitely feel the impact of T knowing what to expect from her days! Such beauty in the simplest, yet most important, things in the life of a Mother and her child!

And now, for some tasty pictures from today!


Breakfast
Her breakfast was so beautiful, I was inspired to photograph our meals. This was, from the left, scrabbled eggs with Red Bell Peppers, Rhubarb/Strawberry/Sorrel sauce with a dollop of thick plain yogurt, and a small glass of Carrot juice(a gift from a friend).
The success of this meal for my toddler
>: The sauce she mostly wanted the yogurt from and the occasional strawberry bit, but mostly it was played with more than eaten. The carrot juice ended up in the fridge in full. The eggs she devoured, plus a third of mine(not so much on the Red Peppers, though).
The success of this meal for me: I enjoyed it. The sauce received some Agave nectar, however. I think the rhubarb was just not so hot. The rest was delicious.



Lunch
This was the lunch spread. Our meals aren't always this beautifully presented, but I was rather inspired today, and I hope it will continue!
The self-serve portion is meant to be toppings/additions to the alphabet pasta, which I served for her with Miso gravy(Miso mixed with water to reach proper consistency). Oh, and it's Miso gravy in the mug, not coffee. :) The silver tray contains Cucumber and Avocado(from the discount shelf at the green grocer I shop at. I try not to buy things from far away, however I allow myself to get the nearly trashed things!), on the three-dished platter are heirloom Tomatoes, Red Bell Peppers and Mango(also a gift from my lovely, lovely friend!), and the other thing is the lid to the sprouts, which I used to serve some in. The whole thing ended up on her plate.

And here is her plate. Aside from the alphabet noodles and gravy, she served herself, and was quite delighted by the process. She's sporting the noodles, Cucumber, Avocado and sprouts(deli sprouts).
The success of this meal for my Toddler
: She loved it and ate most of it...or all...I can't remember. Oh to be a Mom! Well, I took most of her sprouts thinking it was too much for her.
The success of this meal for me: Amazingly delicious!!

I also wanted so badly to share a photo of T having tea, however for some frustrating reason the computer won't allow me to open that one photograph for uploading to here. Perhaps I can add it tomorrow.

Yesterday my friend, who lives a 30 minute drive away, came with her lovely daughter who is a month older than T. It was so nice, and T has been talking about them so much since we've moved into our new home, and non-stop since talk began about them coming to visit. Can't wait to see them again. And yes, she is the delightful one who brought me Carrot juice and a Mango. :)

Tomorrow we are going to the Farmer's Market, hopefully biking, though it is a distance away. It's funnier, really, we're closer to the farms most likely. After this, we are starting a new biweekly date with Auntie J & Uncle J of introducing ourselves and each other to new meals, things we haven't made before. I am excited to add variety to my meal preparation. Also, we are going to focus on using local, seasonal food. This should be good. I am going to rotate this with our pool trips as the chlorine was too much to take every week. Soon it will be the Lake...if summer ever comes. Today was sunny, so there is hope!

Alright, it is getting on. Much love to you all.
Thank you so much for reading!
Please do leave me a comment!!
Love!
-Sarah Christina

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love taking pictures of food when I do a beautiful job!^_^
    I too am finding that I can't wait for summer to come, but am also thankful, because I have been doing such hard physical work, and in the heat it feels even more hard!
    I'm so glad you've found routines to help ease you through your days! Stress is so taxing on the body and mind!
    I enjoy that you've started an evening tea trend! I think I will try this for myself and Ryan. Since we have been hanging out all sickly together, he's been requesting Mint tea all day long. Which is fantastic! I am enjoying seeing the little bits of me rub off on him^_^
    Wishing you happy days and successful home hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love all of this, so happy such a routine is working for you. LOVE the food. hope to be at that place someday soon with my girl.

    ReplyDelete